You’d think facing jail time as well as a foreboding health diagnosis would be enough to dampen any entrepreneurial ideas. When Coss Marte spent three minutes working out in his 9′ x 6′ jail cell only to collapse on his bed, he may never have predicted the fitness community which would eventually develop into a fully-realized business.
Conbody is the result of one ex-convict’s drive and desire to be healthy and to give back to his community.
Items & takeaways mentioned in this episode:
- ConBody stands for “Convict Body,” hiring ex-convicts to teach prison-style fitness to customers.
- Their team goes back into prisons to help teach fitness and also to prevent recidivism.
- Founder Coss Marte grew his customer base from one to two people at a park to over 10,000 through consistency – just showing up every day.
- Conbody’s growth was helped greatly by one single blog post which took off.
- DefyVentures.org is a resource for formerly-incarcerated entrepreneurs to build something new and find those who will help them do it.
- If anyone is looking to volunteer in exchange for learning about building a business and fitness, Conbody.com seeks volunteers.